Okay, so while my boys our in bed and my Husband is out, I have a chance to be alone, sit down and write out some goals for this year. And while my goals are personal, I want to share them with our Tacoma Working Mom community to keep me accountable and hopefully inspire you to write down a few goals of your own!
So, without further delay, here they are:
1. Create quality time without technology. Goodness, need I say anything about this goal? We are blasted daily with technology. At work, at home, in the car, EVERYWHERE. It's so easy to sit on the couch after the kids go to bed with my husband while he browses Facebook and his ESPN app while I scroll through my Twitter feed and read articles on digital media. We have to consciously put our iPads down and look at each other. I want to teach our boys to do the same. And to start, I informed our 6 year old today that in order to have 30 minutes of “screen time” to watch a tv show or play a game on my iPad, he needs to read for 30 minutes first. Isn't that a great idea? 😉
2. Choose to be joyful. It's easy to be tired in the mornings, especially for me because my 7 month old still wakes up twice every night to nurse. When I am tired, it's easy to forget to smile, to say good morning cheerfully or even give my husband a morning kiss. As we all know, “When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.” Well the opposite is true too, when Mama IS happy in the morning, it sets the tone for the household for the entire day. Makes for smoother morning routines, too.
3. Communicate more AND communicate better. At work, it's easy to just sit behind my laptop, do my work and not converse with others. But relationships are just as important to me as my work. I want to send a note weekly that communicates appreciation and gratitude. I also want to become a better communicator, not just talking more. I want to learn to communicate in a way that helps me be better understood and helps me understand others. Communication is so much more than just talking.
4. Put motherhood and marriage first. I am the first to say I am not perfect. I have been guilty of writing on my laptop instead of playing on the floor with my boys. Everyday, I have to create time for eye contact and intentional playtime. Everyday I strive to put my husband and kids first above all else. This year, I want to work on educating myself through books and through conversation on my Facebook page on how to be a better mom and wife. In 2013 I want to become an inspiration to my husband and kids.
5. Take control of my body. Okay, so this goal might be because I had a baby in 2012, but ultimately I want to continue to eat clean and really transform my body into the shape I want it. I want to exercise self discipline and self control daily. I want to be the ultimate example to my family, friends and Tacoma Working Mom community of a woman that is empowered to have a strong body, not just a skinny body.
WOW. So, now I'm accountable to you. This makes me a bit nervous, but also motivates me to get going! I'll be sure to post updates on how things are going throughout this year. Have you wrote down your goals for 2013 yet? Share in the comments below!